Davide L Rizzo User Experience and Front-end Designer
I am a Melbourne-based User Experience and Front-End Designer with more than 15 years experience across various industries. I am passionate about simplifying complexity and modular design systems. I believe in designing and building interfaces that excel for the user, owner and those maintaining it. I am always keen to push technology to its limits where it can enhance the user experience.
Public Talks and Posts
Prototyping a Physical Card Game with CSSDesigning a layout in CSS for rapid prototyping of printed materials
Responsive TablesUnderstanding input A CSS technique for creating reusable, flexible and accessible tabular layout
The Secret Life of InputsUnderstanding input behaviour across browsers and devices for best practice form design
Multibrand StyleguidesBuilding a front-end Styleguide to support multiple components, brands and platforms
- Dec 2014: Melb CSS Meetup
Senior UX Designer (Styleguide Specialist) – Suncorp Group 2012 to current
- Founder and curator of the Suncorp Web Styleguide - a living multi-brand front-end framework. This Design System supports more than 15 brands, 20 components and multiple backend platforms including React, Angular, Java, AEM and hybrid native apps. It is the backbone of interface development at the Suncorp group and is implemented in all of Suncorp’s primary websites and web apps.
- Extensive experience in front-end design and integration with Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) content management suite.
- Specialist in technical design, form design for eCommerce and collaboration between design and development teams.
- Curator of the Suncorp icon library with thousands of unique icons per brand in multiple colours and formats.
- Evangelizing the merits of best practice front-end techniques such as responsive design, reusable patterns and accessibility.
- Interface design and development for some of Australia’s largest insurance and banking brands, including AAMI, GIO, Suncorp, APIA, Bingle and many more.
Internet Team Leader – The Just Group 2006 to 2012
- Manager of The Just Group Web Design team responsible for web maintenance and email campaigns to hundreds of thousands of customers each week across 7 brands.
- Implemented front-end integration of WebSphere Commerce, Jay Jays & Dotti (2010), Portmans & Jacqui E (2011), Smiggle & Peter Alexander (2012).
- Sole interface developer and front-end programmer for The Just Group websites, including Just Jeans (2006 & 2009), Dotti (2007), Jacqui E (2007), The Just Group (2007), Smiggle (2008) and Peter Alexander (2009).
- Overhaul of The Just Group eCommerce platform front-end on the Interworld eCommerce platform. Comprehensive work on customer registration, online product catalogues and checkout systems with Credit Card, PayPal and Gift Voucher payments.
- Animation and game design. Pioneered technique for Progressive Enhanced Flash site for Dotti.
- Animation and game design. Pioneered technique for progressive enhanced Flash sites.
Lead Web Designer – ANZ Bank (anz.com) 2004 to 2005
- Full responsibility for ANZ website graphics (anz.com), including homepage, promotions, banners, landing pages, animations and games.
- Management of design standards for anz.com, including the creation of an online Web Styleguide.
- Management and mentoring of web designers located in India.
Usability and Web Designer – ANZ Bank 2002 to 2004
Publishing administrator – INT Press educational bookshop 1996 – 2000
- Desktop publishing educational language books.
- Mail order picker and packer.
- Data entry and invoicing using MYOB.
- Site design and development for the Da Vinci Machines and Ancient Rome exhibitions. A dedicated responsive website for prospective patrons wanting information on exhibitions around Australia. (2008, 2009, 2011)
- Abstract Creative full development of a fluid, progressive enhanced and content managed website in Flash. (2006)
- Shantaram website design and development, to support stories and essays from the author of the best selling Australian novel. (2004)
- Design Systems (Styleguides)
- Interface and form design
- Responsive & device based web design
- Icon systems
- Wireframing & Prototyping
- Communicating and documenting design standards
- Design software (Adobe suite, Sketch, Axure)
- Front-end build systems (Git, NPM, Grunt, Bower, Processors)
- Information architecture
- User Testing
- Email design and development
- Web animation
- Content Management
- Customer research
- Front-end performance
- Testing and code standards
- Native app design
- Real-time applications
- Game design & development
- Print design
Bachelor of Computer Science Melbourne University 1999 – 2003
- Study areas included: Programming, Software lifecycle and development, Artificial Intelligence, Database management, Usability, Interface Design, Classics, History, Photography.
Victorian Certificate of Education Strathmore Secondary College Completed 1998
- TER Score of 92.5, received straight A+ in Mathematical Methods, Information Process and Management, and Information Systems.
- Graphics Common Assessment Task (CAT) was nominated for entry in Scienceworks Top CATs exhibition.
- 2016: CSSConf Australia, Melbourne
- 2015: UX Australia, Brisbane (Presenting)
- 2015: CSSConf Australia, Melbourne (Presenting)
- 2014: 1st CSS & JS Conference Melbourne
- 2013: UX Australia conference + workshops, Melbourne
- 2009: eCommerce & Marketing conference, Sydney
- 2008: WACAG 2.0 Accessibility standards seminar
- 2006: Vision Australia, Web Accessibility Training
- 2006: Max Design, Advanced CSS Programming course
- 2005: Semi-Permanent Design conference, Sydney
- 2004: Macromedia certified course, Advanced application development
- 2002: ANZ Breakout performance and culture 2 day workshop